Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Nile

Just chilling on the Nile. Our guide, Tabani is in the back.


This is an action shot of my raft.This actually is not the time we flipped. I am wearing the blue helmet,you can see it through the splashes.

On Saturday I rafted the Nile. Let me say that again...I RAFTED THE NILE. It was so awesome/crazy/scary. I loved it. We rafted 30 km so it took most of the day. It was so sweet because the part of the Nile we rafted had class 5 rapids. And many of you know that I am not what one would call a "daredevil" actually I am probably the biggest chicken ever so this was big. I was really scared at first but we had an amazing guide and there were kayaks all over to pick up people who flip so I was never in any real danger. Our guide's name is Tabani and he was awesome. He has been rafting longer than I have been alive so he is very experienced. There was one time that we got stuck on a rock at the top of about an 8 ft waterfall and he jumped onto the rock pushed us off the rock and then jumped back into the raft while we were going down the waterfall. There was a strom in the middle of the trip which made the rapids worse about 2 hours and I was cold for the first time since I have been here for but then it went back to being sunny. Our raft also did flip once but I think that Tabani flipped us on purpose. It was awesome, we were going down some huge rapids and we flipped so we rode down the rest of that rapid on our backs in our life jackets and then the safety kayaks picked us up. And the food was so good. We got fed breakfast and snacks on the raft, which included the best pineapple I have ever tasted, and a barbecue afterwards for dinner.

3 comments:

Jen said...

What fun! I am so jealous of you that sounds like such a fun time!

Anonymous said...

Looks like so much fun! I cannot believe you went down the NILE!!!! I mean, it is the Nile!

Adele said...

That is an awesome picture. It looks like it was really scary at times. I don't think I've ever rafted down the Nile before.