Friday, May 28, 2010

After- School programs


Schools started this week and since most of the work I’m doing is in schools, I have been very busy. One school we are working at is called Crane’s School. At Crane’s School some of the students board for the term and some just go there during the day and go home after classes end. About 100 of the 300 students that attend Crane’s School are orphans. We are helping the students who are weaker in certain subjects like Math or English and we are doing a few after-school programs. We went on Wednesday and Thursday this week. On Thursday when we got there we were informed that one of the teachers was ill so they asked me and a girl on my team to teach a math to a 5th grade class. The subject was the metric system and conversion of different units in the metric system. I think I would have been confident about teaching anything but the metric system. Considering that I have rarely ever used the metric system, I think the class went very well. The headmaster even had me assign homework. Then after school we split up the students into different groups (music, dance, sports and reading). I was leading the dance group and the students loved it, they kept sneaking out of other groups to join mine. The kids were so great, it was so much fun.

2 comments:

Adele said...

That's pretty funny. I'm sure you felt much more at home teaching dance. I like your updates.

Jen said...

great up dates!!