Thursday, August 26, 2010

I'm alive

Does this animal look terrifying...I think so

(ok it's not the one that wanted to eat me last night but I'm sure it's similar)

Yesterday I went hiking up at squaw peak with 5 people and it was dark by the time we were on our way back. Somehow I got separated from the group for a few minutes and when I had just been rejoined with the group, we heard a cougar growl from about 10 ft away from us. Immediately we shined our flashlights at the cougar and froze in our places. No one really knew what to do so we just decided to walk away slowly. Then we heard another growl and decided to get weapons. 2 boys had huge knives and 2 people grabbed rocks (I don't know how effective the rocks would have been but its all we had). I didn't have a weapon because I was shining flashlights at the cougar (I think I got gypped though). Another 20 minutes later we were at the car. Scariest moment of my life.

5 comments:

Adele said...

It is a good thing there were more than one of you as cougars are quite small (averaging 137 lbs) so there was really no threat at all. It probably would have been worse had it been a 1000 lb grizzly bear and had it been that you were restraining its cubs so that they were crying out to their mother.

Jen said...

I like your optimism adele, I am glad all turned out alright!

Stephanie Pulham said...

Yeah, I guess it is a good thing they were not restraining grizzly bear cubs! Maybe put that on a don't ever do list. Now you have a great nature story though.

Jodee said...

I thought The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook was required reading. ;) Aren't you supposed to make yourself look bigger and more threatening and bring a taser?

Lisa said...

Aaaahhhh!!!