Thursday, May 13, 2010

Sore Muscles

This is our team and some Ugandans
Sorry for the lack of pictures but it's kind of hard to put pictures on these internet cafe computers but I will try next time.So on monday we helped build a clinic and plant a maize field in a village for children whose parents died of Aids. We didn't finish it but we got quite a bit done. I helped mix the cement, which was made of rock, cement and dirt. It was difficult mixing the rocks and the Ugandan men thought it was hilarious that I was doing male work. I'm also starting to pick up a few phrases of Luganda so they gave me a Ugandan name. Now they call me Nabatanzi Lugave.
There are lots of new things here. Specifically the food, which is so good. They make the most delicious beans and there is something called rolex, which is the Ugandan version of a breakfast burrito mmmm. Another new thing is bucket showers which I actually love. We have a shower in our house but the water drips out out the shower head (at best) so I take bucket showers out in this little structure behind our house. I love them because they are so nice on a hot day, basically everyday is around 80 degrees and it's my only choice so I gotta like them.
Yesterday I also helped build an adobe stove. It was sweet mixing the adobe by stomping in it. And one thing that was part of the mixture was water so we carried water from THE NILE to the orphanage we were working at. And lastly I ate fried grasshoppers. They were suprisingly good. They tasted like popcorn. I even ate a few. So that's all for now.

3 comments:

โรสเฆรื said...

Hey Melissa! It's Rosemary! OMG!!! It sounds like you're having a blast there! I'm so glad that you got there safely. I LOVE YA! and your new name too haha. :) Can't wait to read more about your adventures. And i think grasshoppers taste more like peanuts haha. :P

Adele said...

Thanks for the updates. It sounds like you are having so much fun and getting to experience all kinds of new things.

Megan Marielle said...

hey! so i miss your face but i'm glad you're having lots of fun!! i wanna see more pictures!!